Wednesday 13 February 2013

Driver Analysis

"Agreed", I said.
"Alright...so what I want to know is not who killed my butler but who put him in the state that killing him was the only option."
"Ok. Stupid question but can I ask why?" There always comes a time in any investigation when my methods seem even to me to be questionable: they make me ask questions that seem on the face it stupid and so make me look and feel stupid - sometimes! Sometimes the "stupid" questions yield the most surprising results both to me and the person I have asked the question of. The stupid-with-potential-for-surprising questions always come in the first few phases of the investigation during driver, scope and objectives analysis. I have learnt by bitter - oh how bitter! - experience that I neglect these questions at my peril.
"At least we agree it is a stupid question. Is it not obvious why?"
"I can assume if you like. I can assume that you cared for your butler - perhaps immensely - and that you have a burning desire for justice or even revenge and so need to indentify who or what that desire must be played out on."
He raised his eyes to the ceiling and sighed. I get that alot.
"Ok, perhaps not so stupid...I couldn't give a flying shit about the butler. What I "care" about is that someone got in to this house, put my butler in to a coma and got out without being detected despite the (as you have already observed and experienced) stringent security I have. That puts me at risk. I cannot and will not tolerate that. Yes find the bastard who did it and hang him/her/it out to dry with the pigs but what I want to know is how they did it - what holes in my security are there? How do I fix them? Are there any others?" He marched back to his chair and sat down. "Clear enough?"
I took a deep breath. "Um, clearer..." I said slowly. "But I have a few more questions..."
Up went the eyes, out came the sigh but...but he suddenly seemed to relax. He pushed a button on a keyring fob on the table and the bodyguard returned. Lord Todd ordered a chair to be pulled up on the opposite side of the table to him, and tea for me. It looked like I had got the job. I heaved a heavy (internal) sigh of relief and sat down, and started the investigation in earnest.

No comments:

Post a Comment